Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
wrecks:miterazafira [2016/10/17 13:52]
Admin [History]
wrecks:miterazafira [2016/10/17 13:53] (current)
Admin [History]
Line 22: Line 22:
 The vessel was built at the W.M. Doxford & Sons Ltd.((William Doxford and Sons began in 1840 at Cox Green. William Doxford and Sons Ltd, often referred to simply as Doxford, was established in 1857 by William Doxford. From 1870 they were based in Pallion, Sunderland, on the River Wear in Northeast England. In 1904 the East Yard was built, and the 3 extra berths helped Doxford’s to win the blue riband in 1904 and 1907 for the highest production rate in the world. The East Yard was rebuilt as a state of the art covered shipyard, which opened in 1976. Doxford’s joined Thompson’s,​ Laings and Greenwell’s in 1961 to form the Doxford and Sunderland Shipbuilding and Engineering Group. The Group was taken over in 1973 and re-named Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd. It merged with Austin and Pickersgill’s in 1986, and closed in 1988.)), in Sunderland. The keel was laid as yard number 786, in 1950. The ship was launched on January 9, 1951 and it was completed in July 1951. It was powered by a 3300hp (2975 kW) 2SA 4cyl  600x2300 oil engine, 1 screw, manufactured by Doxford, with a maximum speed of 12 knots. The vessel was built at the W.M. Doxford & Sons Ltd.((William Doxford and Sons began in 1840 at Cox Green. William Doxford and Sons Ltd, often referred to simply as Doxford, was established in 1857 by William Doxford. From 1870 they were based in Pallion, Sunderland, on the River Wear in Northeast England. In 1904 the East Yard was built, and the 3 extra berths helped Doxford’s to win the blue riband in 1904 and 1907 for the highest production rate in the world. The East Yard was rebuilt as a state of the art covered shipyard, which opened in 1976. Doxford’s joined Thompson’s,​ Laings and Greenwell’s in 1961 to form the Doxford and Sunderland Shipbuilding and Engineering Group. The Group was taken over in 1973 and re-named Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd. It merged with Austin and Pickersgill’s in 1986, and closed in 1988.)), in Sunderland. The keel was laid as yard number 786, in 1950. The ship was launched on January 9, 1951 and it was completed in July 1951. It was powered by a 3300hp (2975 kW) 2SA 4cyl  600x2300 oil engine, 1 screw, manufactured by Doxford, with a maximum speed of 12 knots.
  
-The first name of the ship was Wayfarer, sailing under British flag, and it was owned by Charente Steamship Company Ltd. / T&J Harrison Ltd.², Liverpool. ​+The first name of the ship was Wayfarer, sailing under British flag, and it was owned by Charente Steamship Company Ltd. / T&J Harrison Ltd.((Thomas & James Harrison was founded when George Brown died in 1853, both brothers taking over the company. In 1871 the Charente Steamship Company was established to take on the ownership of the ships with Thomas & James Harrison as managers. Owned over 70 ships before WWI, of which 27 were lost during WWI. They have also lost 30 out of 46 ships in WWII.)), Liverpool. ​
  
 {{:​wrecks:​wayfarer1.jpg?​200|}} {{:​wrecks:​wayfarer2.jpg?​200|}} {{:​wrecks:​wayfarer3.jpg?​202|}} {{:​wrecks:​wayfarer_arriving_eastham.jpg?​188|}} {{:​wrecks:​wayfarer1.jpg?​200|}} {{:​wrecks:​wayfarer2.jpg?​200|}} {{:​wrecks:​wayfarer3.jpg?​202|}} {{:​wrecks:​wayfarer_arriving_eastham.jpg?​188|}}
  
 Since 1971, the ship was sold to Cassiopeian Shipping Company Ltd., from Famagusta, Cyprus. It was renamed Mitera Zafira and continued to sail under the Cyprus flag. Since 1971, the ship was sold to Cassiopeian Shipping Company Ltd., from Famagusta, Cyprus. It was renamed Mitera Zafira and continued to sail under the Cyprus flag.
- 
- 
----- 
-¹  
- 
-² Thomas & James Harrison was founded when George Brown died in 1853, both brothers taking over the company. In 1871 the Charente Steamship Company was established to take on the ownership of the ships with Thomas & James Harrison as managers. Owned over 70 ships before WWI, of which 27 were lost during WWI. They have also lost 30 out of 46 ships in WWII. 
 ==== Sinking ==== ==== Sinking ====
 On March 8, 1973, while en route from Ashod, Israel to Romania, the vessel was grounded and caught fire, 2 miles off Costinesti. The crew abandoned the ship, which sunk on March 16, 1973. On March 8, 1973, while en route from Ashod, Israel to Romania, the vessel was grounded and caught fire, 2 miles off Costinesti. The crew abandoned the ship, which sunk on March 16, 1973.
  • wrecks/miterazafira.txt
  • Last modified: 2016/10/17 13:53
  • by Admin