User Tools

Site Tools


wrecks:miterazafira

Mitera Zafira

IMO Number5386980
Call sign5BWP
TypeCargo
DWT9020
Length141.83m
Beam18.33m
Draft5.04m
Crew?
Cargo5 holds, transporting phosphates
BuilderW.M. Doxford & Sons Ltd., Sunderland
FlagCyprus
OwnerCassiopeian Shipping Company Ltd., Famagusta
Sink dateRun aground March 8, 1973, sunk March 16, 1973
Sink reasonRun aground on March 8, 1973, abandoned by crew and suffered a fire
Survivorsall
CoordinatesN43 58.087 E028 40.167
Depth8m

History

The vessel was built at the W.M. Doxford & Sons Ltd.1), in Sunderland. The keel was laid as yard number 786, in 1950. The ship was launched on January 9, 1951 and it was completed in July 1951. It was powered by a 3300hp (2975 kW) 2SA 4cyl 600×2300 oil engine, 1 screw, manufactured by Doxford, with a maximum speed of 12 knots.

The first name of the ship was Wayfarer, sailing under British flag, and it was owned by Charente Steamship Company Ltd. / T&J Harrison Ltd.2), Liverpool.

Since 1971, the ship was sold to Cassiopeian Shipping Company Ltd., from Famagusta, Cyprus. It was renamed Mitera Zafira and continued to sail under the Cyprus flag.

Sinking

On March 8, 1973, while en route from Ashod, Israel to Romania, the vessel was grounded and caught fire, 2 miles off Costinesti. The crew abandoned the ship, which sunk on March 16, 1973.

Finding of the wreck

The wreck was found by Harry Bakker on October 28, 2006, near the Tuzla lighthouse, and it was identified on April 4, 2007.

Diving

The ship lies broken in pieces, at a depth of only 8 meters, suitable for beginner divers. Mitera Zafira was completely destroyed by the winter storms. All you can see are large pieces of metal, the most impressive sight being the boiler, which survived intact.

1)
William Doxford and Sons began in 1840 at Cox Green. William Doxford and Sons Ltd, often referred to simply as Doxford, was established in 1857 by William Doxford. From 1870 they were based in Pallion, Sunderland, on the River Wear in Northeast England. In 1904 the East Yard was built, and the 3 extra berths helped Doxford’s to win the blue riband in 1904 and 1907 for the highest production rate in the world. The East Yard was rebuilt as a state of the art covered shipyard, which opened in 1976. Doxford’s joined Thompson’s, Laings and Greenwell’s in 1961 to form the Doxford and Sunderland Shipbuilding and Engineering Group. The Group was taken over in 1973 and re-named Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd. It merged with Austin and Pickersgill’s in 1986, and closed in 1988.
2)
Thomas & James Harrison was founded when George Brown died in 1853, both brothers taking over the company. In 1871 the Charente Steamship Company was established to take on the ownership of the ships with Thomas & James Harrison as managers. Owned over 70 ships before WWI, of which 27 were lost during WWI. They have also lost 30 out of 46 ships in WWII.
wrecks/miterazafira.txt · Last modified: 2016/10/17 13:53 by Admin